Sunday, June 1, 2008

Two Nonken Boys Arrive

It is our greatest pleasure to introduce:

Matthew Ronald (4 lbs. 13 ounces, born at 10:11 PM on 5/27/08) and Thomas Chanel (7 lbs. 1 ounce, born at 10:19 PM on 5/27/08).

Words can not express our joy and happiness in their birth. After much exhausting efforts, Mommy also showed exceptional strength in performing these births naturally (defying statistics for a “C”) and she is doing very well.

A quick summary: We went to the hospital Monday evening with some complications with Sue’s blood pressure and they decided to keep her overnight to monitor both her and the boys. Around 9 AM Tuesday, the decision was made to induce Sue for an attempt at a natural birth as both boys were head down. Labor was tough for Sue, as she had not dilated at all and contractions were painful until around 4 PM when she received her epidural. From 4-6 Sue was able get a little rest (having only slept about 2-3 hours since Sunday night) and then she went to work for the next 4 hours to bring these most precious children into our world.

Matthew had some complications upon birth and is in the Intensive Care Nursery at the hospital and remains there still. He had some initial breathing issues which were corrected right away but it was clear he still had some issues. His blood sugar levels were very low so he was given some formula and an IV of Glucose to help and continues to be fed formula for now. His blood sugar levels have stabalized and the IV has been removed. He encountered some issues with his oxygen levels dropping when eating which has been corrected. Now the remaining issue is that he is having difficulty eating and has a tube down his nose to administer some food. We try to feed him from a bottle for each feeding and what he does not take is then given through the tube. Until this issue is corrected and he has taken all of his food from a bottle for 24-48 hours he will not be released from the hospital. Reed and I try to make it to the hospital for at least 3 of the 5 daytime feedings to bond and feed Matthew.

Thomas is doing great. He is eating like a horse, and although is showing signs of Jaundice he is doing very well. He is feeding about every four hours and is only waking us up twice during the night. He hardly ever cries and is such a good baby.

So needless to say, we are concerned about Matthw – but have been reassured by everyone here that he will pull through just fine. In the meantime, it has been a challenge to say the least to try and take care of Thomas and then get to Matthew every 3 hours (on top of Mommy recovery, breastfeeding training, etc!). All you parents are just smiling I am sure from your past experiences as well!

Our most sincere thanks for all the support our friends, family and coworkers have (and will) offered. Please see some of the pictures posted below and more will come in the days to follow.

Reed and Sue

1 comment:

Lee said...

Reed and Sue: I am so happy your boys arrived in such good condition, and I am praying for their continued health and well-being. Sue, as a another mother of twins, I would be happy to answer any "twin" questions you might have. I'm glad you have help lined up: those first few months are pretty harrowing but so rewarding. In addition to people helping out, I found charts of who did what when was invaluable.